Birth Date: May 12, 2011
Theme: Team Sports
(Basketball, Soccer, Baseball
Due Date: October 1, 2020
Landon was active and loved playing sports. In 2019 he began having frequent headaches. He was being treated by his pediatrician, but nothing seemed to be helping. In early 2020 I noticed Landon having balance issues. That progressed to staring off into space and seizure like activity.
In February he was seen by a neurologist who ordered an MRI. We were sent to see a neurosurgeon. The diagnosis was a Astrocytoma tumor in his right temporal lobe. My 8-year-old son had a brain tumor! The neurosurgeon's advice was to postpone surgery for 6 months in order to see if the tumor grew, and if so, how much. In my heart I just knew that wasn't what was best for Landon.
My research led me to Dr. Frederick Boop, a world-renowned pediatric neurosugeon at Le Bonheur Childrens Hospital in Memphis. I sent Landon's MRI to him. Dr. Boop contacted me and said Landon needed to have surgery right away. We met with the doctor and additional tests were performed. A surgery date was set. But ... the insurance company denied the claim because the surgery was going to be performed out of state. I did an immediate appeal. Denied. Dr. Boop did a peer-to-peer appeal with the insurance company's doctor. Denied ... again! My son was being denied life-saving surgery because we crossed a state line.
Dr. Boop took the initiative and contacted St. Jude Hospital. They agreed to have the surgery done there and cover all expenses. On March 18th, the surgery was successfully performed. Dr. Boop found the tumor had spread from the original spot in the right temporal lobe to the optic nerve and brain stem. He told us if we had waited the 6 months that had been recommended, the tumor would have been inoperable.
One month after the first surgery, Landon was back in Memphis. He had developed a staph infection in the surgical area. The bone that had been replaced following the first surgery was removed and discarded. Inpatient IV antibiotics and 6 weeks of oral antibiotics at home, and things are looking up.
On June 22nd we will be back at St. Jude to start chemo. That had to be delayed due to the infection. Landon has a very long recovery ahead but I am so happy to report he is improving daily. He now has a chance to grow up and become the doctor he wants to be.
Below is a list of patterns that have been chosen for this quilt.
Please check this list for duplications before signing up.
Link to sign-up form is at the bottom of the list.
Accepting 20 signups
1. Julie L - PA - Stoney Creek's Stitches for Champions - Football - Pg 4-5 - Helmet w/ "Football" above
2. Vicki R - CT - The Cross Stitcher 2001 - Football - Pg 50 - Player w/ word "Football"
3. Polly P - OK - Sue Hillis - Play Basketball - NA - Ball going thru hoop w/ "Shoot for Your Goal"
4. Louise P - CA - Cyberstitchers.com - Sports Equipment - NA - Large basketball w/ 8 other various balls inside
5. Karen B - PA - Etsy SpookyAndSteve - Love Baseball - NA - "Love" w/ ball for the "O" & bat underneath
6. Kaye S - OK - Sue Hillis - Play Football - Pg 2-3 - "No Guts, No Glory" w/ football in grass
7. Mary Z - CA - Etsy ClimbingGoatDesigns - Football Star - Silhouette of soccer player kicking a ball, w/ star-shaped border
8. Sandy S - MO- Sue Hillis - Play Baseball - NA - Baseball w/ "There's no place like home"
9. Scharlet D - PA - Action Sports Emblems - Soccer - Pg 4 - Ball w/ shoes below & "Soccer" above
10. Debbie S - AL - Stoney Creek Sportstacular Stitches - Football - Pg 8-9 - Player throwing ball
11. Sally S - MI - Stoney Creek Sportstacular Stitches - Soccer - Pg 4-5 - Player w/ ball & "Soccer"
12. Doreen P - IL - Etsy ClimbingGoatDesigns - Footballing Legend - NA - Soccer player w/ foot on ball & goal behind
13. Bonnie W - WA - The Design Connection - Sports Names & Terms - NA - Sampler w/ baseball, soccer, basketball & football
14. Carol L - PA - Jeanette Crews' Omnibook of Sports - Hoops - Pg 7 - Player dribbling ball w/ "HOOPS" down the left side
15. Vicki R - CT - The Cross Stitcher 2001 - Basketball - NA - Player w/ word "Basketball"
16. Polly P - OK - Gloria & Pat's Sports That Count - Baseball #2 - Pg 9 - Batter swinging bat, facing left
17. Bonnie W - WA - The Cross Stitcher 2001 - Baseball - Pg 46 - Player in full swing w/ word "Baseball"
18. Jeanne O - TX - On the Team by Nanci - Basketball - Pg 6 - Player w/ ball
19. Mary Ann M - MO - Etsy ClimbingGoatDesigns - Soccer Players - NA - 4 players in action w/ ball in center
20. Carrie H - MO - alexstitches.com - Football - NA - Ball only
SIGNUPS FOR THIS QUILT ARE CLOSED